Saturday, September 30, 2006

Mark Foley: Wow!

The WaPo reports: "Six-term Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fla.) resigned yesterday amid reports that he had sent sexually explicit Internet messages to at least one underage male former page."

Wow, I'm truly shocked. Foley has been my parent's representative for years, and although it was hardly a secret that he was gay, it didn't make a difference to them. Not even to my Bush loving, gun toting, marine father! Foley always was there for them whether it was intervening on their behalf with the IRS or with FEMA. In the past, I've spoken to his staff at his Port St. Lucie office and they were always sympathetic and helpful. Especially, during this past year as my parents struggled with the government to get relief in the aftermath of hurricane Wilma and the destruction of their home.

Foley has been a great moderate Republican representative for his district and this is just a tragedy. I don't know what was going on in his mind or what on earth he was thinking, but obviously he's made some crucial errors in judgment that have ruined his very successful political career. It's a real shame. I've never voted for a Republican, but I would have voted for him. For his sake, I hope he's able to work out his personal problems and move on, because I believe he is a good man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter script Top Blog Lists Favourite Blogs Top List
FavouriteBlogs
My Zimbio
Top Stories